The Second Language Studies Department regularly offers one or more graduate-level courses in the following areas:
- English phonetics and phonology
- English syntax
- L2 acquisition by children
- L2 phonetics and phonology
- L2 pragmatics and discourse analysis
- L2 processing and psycholinguistics
- L2 syntax and semantics
- L2 writing
- Language assessment
- Language typology
- Methods for L2 research
- Methods of teaching English to adults
- Models of second language acquisition
- Research in L2 pedagogical contexts
- Statistics for L2 research
We offer a TESOL Practicum for our M.A. TESOL and Applied Linguistics students, which is also open to other SLS Department students.
Every year we also offer a two-semester research seminar designed primarily for Ph.D. students in their third year. The year-long seminar is designed to include significant preparation for students’ dissertation research.
Courses on other topics of current interest to students and faculty are also offered.