You may register for the Appeal Exam if you have received the rating of NC4 in the TEPAIC oral interview. The Appeal Exam provides NC4 candidates with a second opportunity to demonstrate their English skills with a 30-minute teaching performance exam. In addition to a short interview, candidates demonstrate their ability to teach at an undergraduate level, answer questions in an office hour role play, and respond to typical student questions.
What will the Appeal Exam be like?
- Background Interview (5-10 min.)
Questions about background and educational interest.
1. Clarity, fluency, and intelligibility of the speech
2. Ability to understand the questions
- Teaching Segment (10-15 min.)
You will prepare a short lesson where you explain a problem or a concept at a level appropriate for an undergraduate audience in an introductory level course or a lab. You may use the board.
1. Language skills
2. Presentation skills
3. Teaching strategies
4. Ability to understand and respond to questions
- Office-Hour Role Play (5 min.)
One of the evaluators will play the role of an undergraduate student with a request or a question you may encounter as an AI.
1. Clarity and fluency of speech
2. Interactional communication skills
3. Ability to understand the intent of the question and clarify misunderstandings