Indiana University

The Department of Second Language Studies

Request to Substitute English for a Foreign Language

The Department of Second Language Studies works with the College of Arts and Sciences to allow students to complete a request to substitute English for a foreign language.

There are two options for the request form, a fillable PDF or a printable PDF that can be scanned and emailed to

Information for the form: The form should be completely filled out and include all signatures from the department before emailing this to the SLS department. Attached to the form should be the official SIS student records for their TOEFL/ IELTS/Duolingo score.*

*If a department waived the TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo score for admission to Indiana University, a memo typed on department letterhead must be attached to the request form.
This memo should include:
Student ID #
Student Admission Year
A brief explanation of how the department has judged the student to have adequate English proficiency and why the score was waived for admisison.

The form and attachments should be emailed to, we will process them and get this sent back to you after being signed and approved by the department.