- Outcomes of bilingualism: adult second language acquisition, third language acquisition, heritage language, and first language attrition
- Acquisition and development of morphosyntax in non-native languages
- Spanish and Portuguese
- Statistical methods in experimental linguistic research
- Ph.D. 2012, Hispanic Linguistics, University of Iowa
- M.A. 2008, Spanish, University of Iowa
- B.S.E. 2006, Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa
- Rothman, J., Long, D., Iverson, M., Judy, T., Lingwall, A., & Chakravarty, T. (in press). Older age of onset in child L2 acquisition can be facilitative: Evidence from the acquisition of English passives by Spanish natives. Journal of Child Language.
- Valenzuela, E., Iverson, M., Rothman, J., Pascual y Cabo, D., Borg, K., & Pinto, M. (in press). Eventive and Stative passives and copula selection in Canadian and American heritage speaker Spanish. In S. Gumiel-Molina, M. Leonetti & I. Pérez-Jiménez (Eds.), Ser and Estar at the interfaces. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Iverson, M., & Rothman, J. (2015). Restrictions on object drop in L2 Spanish, Feature Reassembly and L1 Pre-emption: Comparing English, Chinese, European and Brazilian Portuguese learners. In T. Judy & S. Perpiñán (Eds.), Spanish second language acquisition with unique language pairings. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Giancaspro, D., Halloran, B., & Iverson, M. (2015). Transfer at the initial stages of L3 Brazilian Portuguese: A look at three groups of English/Spanish bilinguals. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 18(2), 191-207.
- Rothman, J., & Iverson, M. (2013). Strong Islands and Null Objects in L2 Spanish of Brazilian Portuguese natives: Do you know the learners who drop ____? Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 35(4), 589-618.
- Iverson, M., & Rothman, J. (2011). L1 preemption and L2 learnability: The case of object drop in Brazilian Portuguese native learners of L2 Spanish. In N. Danis, K. Mesh & H. Sung (Eds.), BUCLD 35: Proceedings of the 35th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development (pp. 296-307). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Rothman, J., & Iverson, M. (2011). Flexionar ou Não Flexionar, Eis a Questão: Infinitivos no Português como Segunda Língua (L2) [To inflect or not to inflect is the question: Infinitives in second language (L2) Portuguese]. Letras de Hoje, 46(3), 28-43.
- Rothman, J., Iverson, M., & Judy, T. (2011). Some notes on the generative study of L3 acquisition. Second Language Research, 27(1), 5-19.
"Advanced language attrition of Spanish in contact with Brazilian Portuguese"
Advisors: Jason Rothman and Roumyana Slabakova