- Outcomes of bilingualism: adult second language acquisition, third language acquisition, heritage language, and first language attrition
- Acquisition and development of morphosyntax in non-native languages
- Spanish and Portuguese
- Statistical methods in experimental linguistic research
- Ph.D. 2012, Hispanic Linguistics, University of Iowa
- M.A. 2008, Spanish, University of Iowa
- B.S.E. 2006, Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa
- Judy, T., & Iverson, M. (2020). The distribution of differential object marking in L1 and L2 River Plate Spanish. In A. Mardale & S. Montrul (Eds.), The Acquisition of Differential Object Marking (pp. 130-160). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Cabrelli Amaro, J., Iverson, M., Giancaspro, D., & Halloran, B. (2020). Implications of L1 versus L2 transfer in L3 rate of acquisition. In K.V. Molsing, C. Becker Lopes Perna, & A.M. Tramunt Ibaños (Eds.), Linguistic Approaches to Portuguese as an Additional Language (pp. 11-33). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Iverson, M. (2020). Unbridled Attrition? Second Language Research 36(2), 183-186. doi: 10.1177/0267658319883926
- Dekydtspotter, L., Miller, A.K., Iverson, M., Xiong, Y., Swanson, K., & Gilbert, C. (2019). Increased Beta-Band activity in the active maintenance of fragile L2 representations. In M.M. Brown & B. Dailey (Eds.), Proceedings of the 43nd Boston University Conference on Language Development (pp. 175-188). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Cabrelli Amaro, J., & Iverson, M. (2018). Third language acquisition. In K. Geeslin (Ed.), Handbook of Spanish Linguistics (pp. 737-757). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Iverson, M., & Miller, D. (2018). Language attrition and maintenance: Two sides of the same coin? Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism 7(6), 704-708.
- Bayram, F., Rothman, J., Iverson, M., Miller, D., Puig-Mayenco, E., Kupisch, T., & Westergaard, M. (2017). Differences in use without deficiencies in competence: Passives in the Turkish and German of Turkish heritage speakers in Germany. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 22, 919-939. doi:10.1080/13670050.2017.1324403
- Rothman, J., Long, D., Iverson, M., Judy, T., Lingwall, A., & Chakravarty, T. (in press). Older age of onset in child L2 acquisition can be facilitative: Evidence from the acquisition of English passives by Spanish natives. Journal of Child Language.
- Valenzuela, E., Iverson, M., Rothman, J., Pascual y Cabo, D., Borg, K., & Pinto, M. (in press). Eventive and Stative passives and copula selection in Canadian and American heritage speaker Spanish. In S. Gumiel-Molina, M. Leonetti & I. Pérez-Jiménez (Eds.), Ser and Estar at the interfaces. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Iverson, M., & Rothman, J. (2015). Restrictions on object drop in L2 Spanish, Feature Reassembly and L1 Pre-emption: Comparing English, Chinese, European and Brazilian Portuguese learners. In T. Judy & S. Perpiñán (Eds.), Spanish second language acquisition with unique language pairings. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Giancaspro, D., Halloran, B., & Iverson, M. (2015). Transfer at the initial stages of L3 Brazilian Portuguese: A look at three groups of English/Spanish bilinguals. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 18(2), 191-207.
- Rothman, J., & Iverson, M. (2013). Strong Islands and Null Objects in L2 Spanish of Brazilian Portuguese natives: Do you know the learners who drop ____? Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 35(4), 589-618.
- Iverson, M., & Rothman, J. (2011). L1 preemption and L2 learnability: The case of object drop in Brazilian Portuguese native learners of L2 Spanish. In N. Danis, K. Mesh & H. Sung (Eds.), BUCLD 35: Proceedings of the 35th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development (pp. 296-307). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Rothman, J., & Iverson, M. (2011). Flexionar ou Não Flexionar, Eis a Questão: Infinitivos no Português como Segunda Língua (L2) [To inflect or not to inflect is the question: Infinitives in second language (L2) Portuguese]. Letras de Hoje, 46(3), 28-43.
- Rothman, J., Iverson, M., & Judy, T. (2011). Some notes on the generative study of L3 acquisition. Second Language Research, 27(1), 5-19.
"Advanced language attrition of Spanish in contact with Brazilian Portuguese"
Advisors: Jason Rothman and Roumyana Slabakova