Kimberly L. Geeslin
Professor of Hispanic Linguistics, Associate Chair
Adjunct Associate Professor of Second Language Studies
Global and International Studies Building 2173 / 2176
- Second Language Acquisition (issues in the acquisition of Spanish by English-speakers)
- The intersection of sociolinguistics and Second Language Acquisition (language variation and change)
- Ph.D. 1999, M.A. 1996 University of Arizona
- B.A. 1993 University of New Hampshire
Kimberly L. Geeslin joined the faculty of Indiana University in the fall of 1999, after receiving an M.A. in Hispanic Linguistics and a Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) from the University of Arizona. In addition to my work with the department of Second Language Studies, I currently serve as the Associate Chair of the Department of Spanish & Portuguese. My research concentrates on the intersection of second language acquisition and sociolinguistics with a particular focus on the second language acquisition of variation in second languages. The basic assumption I make when studying interlanguage development is that an analysis of language use must take into account both the linguistic structural features of a grammar, and the characteristics of the social context in which communication takes place. My recent book Sociolinguistics and Second Language Acquisition: Learning to Use Language in Context (2014, Routledge) explores this issue in depth. Similarly, my earlier book Crossing Disciplinary Boundaries to Improve the Analysis of Second Language Data: A Study of Copula Choice with Adjectives in Spanish (2005, LINCOM Europa) addresses the second language acquisition of copula choice in Spanish by English-speaking learners at different levels of proficiency and shows how the tools from sociolinguistic analyses can be applied to second language data. My other published work advocates a shift from the analysis of errors in obligatory contexts to an analysis of use that does not require a subjective evaluation of accuracy, seeks to incorporate appropriate native-speaker baselines into the research design, and explores the effects of individual characteristics on the second language acquisition of variable structures.
Most recently, I have collaborated with several co-authors to expand our current knowledge of the variationin a range of variables structures in Spanish and the degree to which individual characteristics play a role in the acquisition of these structures. As an extension of this research, I have embarked on a project in which I connect what is known about the second language acquisition of variable structures to language attitudes and language change.
Books and Edited Volumes
- Geeslin, K., with Long, A. (2014). Sociolinguistics and Second Language Acquisition: Learning to Use Language in Context. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Geeslin, K. (ed). (2013). The Handbook of Spanish Second Language Acquisition. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Geeslin, K. & Díaz-Campos, M. (eds.). (2012). Selected Proceedings of the 14th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Guijarro-Fuentes, P. & Geeslin, K. (2008). Language Acquisition, Language Variation and Copula Choice in Spanish, Special volume (11, 3, 273-387) of Billingualism: Language and Cognition. Cambridge University Press.
- Geeslin, K. (2005). Crossing Disciplinary Boundaries to Improve the Analysis of Second Language Data: A Study of Copula Choice with Adjectives in Spanish. Munich: LINCOM Publishers. 313 pages.
- Lee, J., Geeslin, K. & Clements, J. C. (Eds.). (2002). Structure, Meaning and Acquisition in Spanish: Selected Papers from the Fourth Hispanic Linguistic Symposium. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press. 335 pages.
- Selected Refereed Articles
- Geeslin, K. (forthcoming). An analysis of co-occurrence of the Spanish copulas with adjectives: How variable are they really? In Lui, Feng-Hsi (ed.), Festricft for Rudolph Troike. Taiwan: Academia Sinica.
- Geeslin, K., Linford, B., & Fafulas, S. (forthcoming). Variable subject expression in second language Spanish? Uncovering the developmental sequence and predictive linguistic factors. In A. Carvalho, R. Orozco, & N. Shin (eds.), Subject pronoun expression in Spanish: A cross-dialectal perspective. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Geeslin, K. & Long, A. (forthcoming). Adquisición del español como segunda lengua: fonología. In J. Gutiérrez-Rexach (ed.), Enciclopedia de lingüística hispánica. New York: Routledge.
- Kanwit, M. & Geeslin, K. (2014). The interpretation of the Spanish subjunctive in adverbial clauses: A cross-sectional study. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 36(3).
- Gudmestad, A., House, L. & Geeslin, K. (2013). What a Bayesian Analysis can do for the sociolinguistic study of subject expression in second-language Spanish. Language Learning 63(1), 371-399.
- Gudmestad, A. & Geeslin, K. (2011). Assessing the use of multiple forms in variable contexts: The relationship between linguistic factors and future-time reference in Spanish. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 4(1), 3-34.
- Diaz-Campos, M. & Geeslin, K. (2011). Copula use in the Spanish of Venezuela: Is the pattern indicative of stable variation or an ongoing change? Spanish in Context 8(1), 73-94.
- Geeslin, K. (2011).Variation in L2 Spanish: The state of the discipline. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 4(2), 461-517.
- Geeslin, K. (2011). The acquisition of variation in second language Spanish: How to identify and catch a moving target. In M. Díaz-Campos (ed.), Handbook of Spanish Sociolinguistics, pp. 303-320. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Geeslin, K. (2010). Beyond "naturalistic": On the role of task characteristics and the importance of multiple elicitation methods. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 3(2), 501-520.
- Geeslin, K. & Gudmestad, A. (2010). An exploration of the range and frequency of occurrence of forms in potentially-variable structures in second language Spanish. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 32(3), 433-463.
- Henriksen, N., Geeslin, K. & Willis, E. (2010). The development of L2 Spanish intonation during a study abroad immersion program in León, Spain: Global contours and final boundary movements. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 3(1), 113-162.
- Geeslin, K. & Gudmestad, A. (2008). The Acquisition of variation in second-language Spanish: An agenda for integrating studies of the L2 sound system. Journal of Applied Linguistics 5(2), 137-157.
- Geeslin, K. & Gudmestad, A. (2008). Variable subject expression in second-language Spanish: A comparison of native and non-native speakers. In M. Bowles, R. Foote, S. Periñán, & R. Bhatt (eds).) Selected Proceedings of the Second Language Research Forum, pp. 69-85. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Geeslin, K. & Guijarro-Fuentes, P. (2007). The SLA of Variable Structures: Analyzing Obligatory and Variable Contexts. ITL: International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 153, 25-51.
- Geeslin, K. & Guijarro-Fuentes, P. (2007). Spanish in Contact with Galician: Exploring Language Learning and Language Use. In K. Potowski and R. Cameron (eds.), Spanish in contact: Policy, Social and Linguistic Inquiries, pp. 253-273. John Benjamins.
- Geeslin, K. & Guijarro-Fuentes, P. (2006). A Longitudinal Study of Copula Choice: Following Development in Variable Structures. In N. Sagarra & J. Toribio (eds.) Selected Proceedings of the 9th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, pp 144-156. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Geeslin, K. (2006). Linguistic contextual features and variation in L2 data elicitation. In C. Klee & T. Face (eds.), Selected proceedings from the 7th Conference on the acquisition of Spanish and Portuguese as a first and second language, pp. 74-85. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Geeslin, K. & Guijarro-Fuentes, P. (2006). The Second Language Acquisition of Variable Structures in Spanish by Portuguese Speakers. Language Learning 56 (1), 53-107.
- Guijarro-Fuentes, P. & Geeslin, K. (2006). Interpretation of Spanish copula choice by Portuguese near-native speakers. In C. Abello-Contesse, R. Chacón-Beltrán, M.D. López-Jiménez, & M.M. Torreblanca-López, (eds.), Age in L2 Acquisition and Teaching (pp. 193-209). Pieterlen, Switzerland: Peter Lang.
- Guijarro-Fuentes, P. & Geeslin, K. (2006). Copula choice in the Spanish of Galicia: The effects of bilingualism on language use. Spanish in Context, 3(1).
- Geeslin, K. (2003). A comparison of copula choice in advanced and native Spanish. Language Learning, 53, 4, 703-764.
- Geeslin, K. (2002). The second language acquisition of copula choice and its relationship to language change. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 24 (3), 419-451.
- Geeslin, K. (2002). Semantic transparency as a predictor of copula choice in second language acquisition. Linguistics: An Interdisciplinary Journal of the Language Sciences, 40(2), 439-468.
- Geeslin, K. (2001). Changing norms, moving targets and the SLA of copula choice. Spanish Applied Linguistics, 5 (1-2), 29-55.
- Geeslin, K. (2000). A new approach to the second language acquisition of copula choice in Spanish. In R. Leow & C. Sanz (Eds.), Spanish Applied Linguistics at the Turn of the Millennium: Papers from the 1999 Conference on the L1 & L2 Acquisition of Spanish and Portuguese, (pp. 50-66). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- The Second Language Acquisition of Linguistic Variation
- Introduction to the Second Language Acquisition of Spanish
- Sociolinguistics for Language Teachers
- Linguistic Theories and the Second Language Acquisition of Spanish
- The Second Language Acquisition of Spanish phonology
- Methods of Teaching College Spanish
Honors and Awards
- Department of Spanish & Portuguese, GSAC Outstanding Mentor Award, 2006, 2012.
- Indiana University FACET Award, 2005.
- British Academy Project Development Grant (with Pedro Guijarro-Fuentes).
- Active Learning Grant for development of S428, Indiana University.
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2002, 2008, 2012.
Current Research Projects
- The second language acquisition of geographically-indexed variants (e.g. leísmo, interdental fricative) in a study abroad setting [collaborative projects with Dr. Manuel Díaz-Campos, Sephen Fafulas, Bret Linford, and Avizia Yim Long].
- A comparative study of advanced non-native speaker use of variable structures in Spanish (e.g., future and past time reference, copula contrast, mood use and subject expression) [collaborative project with Dr. Aames Gudmestad].
- A study of the relationship between first language background and the second language acquisition of Spanish [collaborative project with Avizia Yim Long].
- An investigation of the characteristics of classroom learner-directed input and the second language acquisition of variable structures in Spanish [collaborative project with Dr. Laura Gurzynski-Weiss].